What a glorious day for whiners. In the wine store yesterday I spotted a wine simply called, "Cheap Red Wine." Was this wine made for this blog? Did someone plant it there for me to find? Who knows. After buying it (and getting asked for my ID, which baffles me because I'm there every week now) I was tempted to open the bottle on my walk home -- I was that excited. How often do you see a wine that is advertised as being cheap? Just not even trying to hide anything.
I got home, popped out the cork, and BAM -- I was hit with a strong smell of vinegar. But hey, for the cost of a move ticket, what can you really expect? I let the wine air out for a little while (or 'breathe' as it is officially called) and then poured myself a glass. Not bad, but not great either.
Grade: 6/10
Price: $10
The label says that this wine comes form Morgan Hill, California, and is intended to be a general table wine. Fair enough. But while this wine doesn't hide the fact that it is merely cheap red wine, it also tries to be moderately-priced wine. In other words, the wine isn't as smooth and delicious as other table wines that know their place. This wine has a nasty bite to it that isn't backed up with any flavor.
This wine is certainly drinkable but it literally burned my stomach. If you want a wine that is drinkable, get something else. If you're going for a wine with a nice bite to it, pony up the extra $8 and get something good. I'd only suggest this bottle if you're bringing it to a party and don't want to hide the fact that you didn't break the bank for wine.

No comments:
Post a Comment